User rights
inungh
2011-04-07 14:04:59 UTC
I need create new users. I just wonder does SQL server 2000 support
user group, for example, I can assign admin, manager and supervisros
groups for the users for the rights that I do not give any individual
rights.

Your information is great appreciated,
Erland Sommarskog
2011-04-07 21:21:34 UTC
Post by inungh
I need create new users. I just wonder does SQL server 2000 support
user group, for example, I can assign admin, manager and supervisros
groups for the users for the rights that I do not give any individual
rights.
Yes, you can create groups in your database, although they are called
roles. You use sp_addrole to create a group and sp_addrolemember to add
a user to that group.-
--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, ***@sommarskog.se

Links for SQL Server Books Online:
iccsi
2011-04-07 21:40:18 UTC
Thanks millions,
Can I use Enterprise Manager to add Role and memebers without running
system stored procedures?

Thanks again,
Erland Sommarskog
2011-04-08 07:33:13 UTC
Post by iccsi
Can I use Enterprise Manager to add Role and memebers without running
system stored procedures?
You can use EM, but not without running system procedures, because that
is what EM runs.
--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, ***@sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
iccsi
2011-04-15 20:56:14 UTC
Thanks for the message and helping,
Once I added the role in the database.
How can I add the rights to certain tables or columns?

Your help is great appreciated,
Erland Sommarskog
2011-04-15 21:30:11 UTC
Post by iccsi
Thanks for the message and helping,
Once I added the role in the database.
How can I add the rights to certain tables or columns?
For instance:

GRANT SELECT ON tbl TO yourrole

This grants SELECT on columns in the table. Normally you don't mess
with permissions on columns, but if you have sensitive data you can
explicitly deny access to a certain column. I don't remember the syntax
on the top of my head, but Books Online has the information.